Incredible Museums To Visit In Munich

With over 80 museums to choose from, Munich is definitely one of the best picks in Europe for culture lovers, holding exhibitions from prehistory to modern art.


Note that most museums are closed on Mondays. Apart from that, during Sundays, there is a special admission charge of only €1 for state-owned museums, which will be marked throughout this post.

Alte Pinakothek


Location: Barer Str. 27 | Kunstareal
Opening: Mon CLOSED, Tue-Wed 10:00 – 20:30, Thu-Sun 10:00 – 18:00

Around 700 European paintings from the 14th to the 18th century are on display in the 19 halls and 47 cabinets of the Alte Pinakothek.

Alte Pinakothek History


The Old Pinakothek was built on behalf of King Ludwig I, opening its doors in 1836. The architect Leo von Klenze has created it as a groundbreaking museum building, mostly lit by skylights and with the accompanying cabinets on the north side being also exemplary for other museum buildings.

The building was sadly destroyed during the Second World War but then rebuilt by Hans Döllgast in 1957, with the missing facade parts replaced by exposed brick masonry, a symbolic gesture to remember the ‘wounds’ of the city’s troubled past. He created an impressive example of the architecture of reconstruction.

Pinakothek der Moderne


Location: Barer Str. 40 | Kunstareal
Opening: Mon CLOSED, Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00

With an area of ​​approximately 12,000 m², the Pinakothek der Moderne majestically displays an overall view of the art coming from the 20th and 21st centuries.

Pinakothek der Moderne History


The Pinakothek der Moderne was designed by Stephan Braunfels and opened its doors in 2002. It is known by the locals as the ‘Third Pinakothek’, after the Old and the New. It is one of the largest collections of modern and contemporary art, as well as architecture and design, in Europe.

Under its roof are four completely independent museums: the Neue Sammlung – the International Design Museum, the Collection of Modern Art, the Museum of Architecture and the Graphics Collection.

Staatlichen Museum Ägyptischer Kunst


Location: Gabelsbergerstraße 35 | Kunstareal
Opening: Mon CLOSED, Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00

Although this museum is not one of the greats in its field, it has one of the highest quality collections in terms of its size and is a sought-after lender internationally. Many of the objects displayed here, especially in the field of round sculpture, are world-class works of art.

Staatlichen Museum Ägyptischer Kunst History


The foundations for the collection were laid at the beginning of the 19th century by the Bavarian King Ludwig I, who already began to acquire the first Egyptian monuments for his planned Glyptothek while being Crown Prince. The second pillar in the collection history of the Egyptian Museum of Munich is the acquisitions of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, especially sarcophagi and steles.

Museum Brandhorst


Location: Theresienstraße 35a | Kunstareal
Opening: Mon CLOSED, Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00

Why should you visit the Museum Brandhorst? Over 1,200 works of art from the 1960s to the present day. The largest collection of works by Cy Twombly, the largest collection of works by Andy Warhol in Europe, highlights of the neo-avant-garde and postmodernism and emerging figures of contemporary art.

Museum Brandhorst History


The Museum Brandhorst has started from the private collection of Anette and Udo Brandhorst. After being transferred to a foundation in 1993, the collection was made accessible to the public with the opening of Museum Brandhorst in 2009 and has since been part of the Bavarian State Painting Collections.



Location: Max-Mannheimer-Platz 1 | Kunstareal
Opening: Mon CLOSED, Tue-Sun 10:00-19:00

This important exhibition started in May 2015, placing Munich as a central place for learning and remembrance of the crimes committed by the National Socialist dictatorship. It educates and creates awareness around the causes, characteristics, and consequences of the Nazi regime up to the present day.

NS-Dokumentationszentrum History


It is impossible to separate the rise of Nazism from the history of Munich. The building known as the “Brown House” in Brienner Strasse was the first headquarter of the National Socialist German Workers Party (NSDAP). At this historic location, the building of the National Socialism Documentation Center was built.

Jagd- und Fischereimuseum


Location: Neuhauser Str. 2 | Near Marienplatz
Opening: Mon-Sun 9:30-17:00

This unusual museum in the former Augustinian church displays everything related to hunting and fishing stemming from German-speaking countries. In addition to historical, there are also natural history and ecological exhibition areas. You can experience more about fishing in the “Water World Fish Stories” area, or learn more about the local wildlife on the “Forest Trail” section of the museum.

Jagd- und Fischereimuseum History


The origins of the German Hunting and Fishing Museum can be traced back to the period around the early 20th century when Germany experienced numerous historical and natural history-oriented museum foundations. For hunters, forestry officials and association officials, the idea of ​​a German hunting museum seemed perfect, but the plan was delayed for financial reasons.

With the Nazi government takeover, things took a turn after the official approval of Adolf Hitler as well as sponsorships coming from politicians, businessmen, and hunters. In 1934, with the support of the influential NSDAP Treasurer Franz Xaver Schwarz, the acquisition of the world-famous antler collection of Count Arco was realized in Munich and the foundations for the future hunting museum were laid.  The Deutsches Jagdmuseum was later founded in Munich in the same year.

Staatliche Antikensammlungen


Location: Königsplatz 1 | Kunstareal
Opening: Mon CLOSED, Tue-Sun 10:00-17:00

The soul of the Greeks, Etruscans, and Romans inhabit the Antikensammlungen at the Königsplatz. Not only works of art but also everyday objects made out of ceramics, metal, and stone allow visitors to immerse themselves in the amazing world of antiquity.

Staatliche Antikensammlungen History


The earliest collections of the museum come from the Kunstkammer of Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria (1550-1579). The Wittelsbachers extended their art collection in the “Antiquarium” of the Munich Residence over the centuries according to their personal interests. Finally, as the crown prince, Louis I began to acquire antiquities in Italy on a large scale.

Right before the museum was reopened in 1967 named as “Staatliche Antikensammlungen”, the diplomat Hans von Schoen (1876-1969) donated his collection to the museum. The last significant addition came from the more than 700 gems and ring stones from the Helmut Hansmann collection (1924-1996).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like